- Deleting Files
- Installation and Configuration
- Microsoft Exchange
- Restoring Files
- Running Backups
- What files should you select?
- What is the best practice for backing up and protecting my data?
- What is the Personal Recovery CD?
- Can I backup open and locked files with the cloud backup software?
- What is a FastBIT backup?
- Are you backing up an exchange server or SQL server?
- Can I send you my initial backup on a USB storage device?
- How do I eliminate extra backup patches/versions?
- SQL Server
- VM Ware
What follows are our basic suggestions for best practices surrounding data back up and recovery with Steelgate software.
- Use offsite backup with critical data to help avoid a single point of failure.
- Select only critical information to back up offline to minimize the amount of data being transferred, and increase overall performance.
- (xSP) To enable FastBIT transfers for a file, that file must have at least 2 copies previously backed up on the server.
- (xSP) To enhance FastBIT, make sure the Work directory has free disk space totaling at least 3x the total amount of data you want to transfer.
- Create a rotation schedule as opposed to running each backup manually to increase the stability and performance of your backups.
- Schedule weekly Full Backups and daily Incremental Backups to maximize your rotation’s efficiency.
- Use more than one device for your backups, ideally alternating between devices regularly to avoid a single point of failure.
- Schedule jobs to run after office hours to ensure that all information is current and that the software will not interfere with normal procedures while it runs.
- Stop any non-essential services when running a restore to increases overall stability during the restore.
- Ensure that the hardware configuration has not changed, or is as similar as possible to the configuration when the data was backed up.
- The “Restore File to Alternate Location” setting allows you to restore files without overwriting existing information.
- Logging Options can be found under Settings > Notification.
- Set logging to Summary (default) unless you are troubleshooting an issue with backing up/restoring.
- Email logs to monitor your backup jobs remotely.